May 2019

What is the difference between the Federal Circuit Court and the Family Court?

By |May 1st, 2019|Court Updates, Family Law, Firm News, Legal Advice|

Federal Circuit Court The Federal Circuit Court is a lower court than the Family Court of Australia, and sits more frequently and the majority of matters are filed in the Federal Circuit Court. Court procedures in the Federal Circuit Court are less formal and the process is generally much quicker. [...]

April 2019

My Partner Had An Affair. Does That Mean I Get More From The Property Settlement?

By |April 9th, 2019|Divorce, Family Law, Family Resolution, Separation|

The short answer is no! In Australia, the family courts have a ‘no fault’ jurisdiction when it comes to separation. The court does not consider the reason for the relationship breakdown as relevant when deciding a parties’ property settlement and the division of assets. What does the court consider relevant? [...]

How Long Will The Court Take To Make The Orders After Reaching A Family Law Agreement?

By |April 8th, 2019|Child Support, Family Law, Family Resolution, Property Division|

If you and your ex-partner have reached an agreement with respect to your property and parenting matters, you can retain a lawyer in Brisbane or Gold Coast to draft the documents for you. At Collective Family Law Group, we offer a fixed fee to draft Orders and can usually produce [...]

March 2019

Negotiating With My Ex-Partner About A Property Settlement

By |March 25th, 2019|Family Law, Property Division|

Negotiating with your ex-partner about your property settlement can be a great way to reach an amicable agreement, and to reduce your need to incur legal costs. Some couples find discussing who gets what in the property settlement causes conflict. Other couples are easily able to negotiate who gets what [...]

I Want To move In With My Partner. Should I Get A Pre-nup?

By |March 20th, 2019|Family Law, Pre-Nuptial Agreement, Property Division|

If you have more assets than your partner, then the simple answer is yes! Under the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) parties who live as a couple for a period of twenty four months or more are considered de facto. De facto couples are subject to the same laws with [...]

Comments Off on I Want To move In With My Partner. Should I Get A Pre-nup?

What If My Ex And I Can Reach Agreement? How Do We Finalise It?

By |March 14th, 2019|Family, Family Law, Legal Advice, Property Division|

If you are considering leaving your partner we recommend you first try family counseling to see if the relationship can be salvaged. Seek Legal Advice If you have decided to leave your partner and own property (sole and/or joint) and/or have children to the relationship, you should seek legal advice. [...]

July 2018

How to Seek Help When You Are a Victim of Domestic Violence in Australia

By |July 4th, 2018|Domestic Violence, Family Law|

Although the statistics show that domestic violence in Australia has declined from 2005 to 2016, partner violence towards women remains a major concern. According to Personal Safety Study (PSS), nearly 16% of Australian women report a violent partner. Considering these stats, you or someone you know may experience domestic and [...]

June 2018

Cafe Meets the Law – Our New Welcoming Space

By |June 27th, 2018|Firm News|

Late last year we moved our office from space in Bundall to a new and improved space at Southport Central. This gave us the perfect opportunity to create something new and to break the mold of normal law practice. As someone who has been through my own divorce experience, I [...]

7 Things to Know About ‘Consent Orders’

By |June 26th, 2018|Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce, Family Law, Family Resolution, Legal Advice, Parenting, Property Division, Separation, Visiting Rights|

If you have reached an agreement and you are reading this, Congratulations! That is the hardest part of the process and you have done it! You might be eager to settle your property division and implement your parenting arrangements quickly, but it really important that you enter into Consent Orders [...]