As an established child custody law firm with a strong
track record of success for our clients,
Collective Family Law Group can assist
you to reach a post-separation
parenting agreement.


The advice that we give clients is in relation to The Family Law Act 1975, which is ultimately focused to ensure the best interests of the children are met.

Before considering going to Court parties should attempt to reach agreement through negotiations and mediation, and then formalise the agreement reached with consent orders that are filed in the Family Court.

If agreement can’t be reached between separated parents, we can advise you about the next possible steps. This advice will vary depending on your particular situation.

Compulsory family dispute resolution

Most parents are required to attend Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) and are further required to make a genuine attempt regarding parenting disputes prior to making an application to the court. There are limited exceptions to this rule where parties do not have to attempt FDR prior to filing in court.

In our capacity as a children & family law firm, Collective Family Law Group we can arrange private Family Dispute Resolution mediations for our clients.

After attempting FDR, if there remains outstanding issues, we can further negotiate on your behalf or if it is necessary we can assist you in making an application to the court.

Relocation Issues

As families move around nationally and internationally more and more, many families are faced with the dilemma that upon separation, one of the parties wants to move home with the children.

Parents cannot relocated with children without first obtaining the consent of the other parent or making an application the court to gain permission to relocate.

In the event that a parent relocates and takes the children without obtaining consent of the other parent or orders from the court, they can be ordered by the court to return with the children.

Collective Family Law Group can assist you in any relocation matter that you may be facing.

Child Support

Collective Family Law Group can provide general advice about your child support liabilities and entitlements. Parties can either enter into a private child support agreement or they can go through the Child Support Agency (CSA).

Grandparents & other third parties

Collective Family Law Group have a range of experience with representing grandparents and other third parties, to ensure they are able to spend time and communicate with their grandchildren following separation of the child’s parents.

Other Children’s matters we deal with include:

  • Change of existing consent orders or parenting arrangements
  • Relocation
  • Travel arrangements for children
  • Placing children on Airport Watch Lists
  • Change of children’s names
  • Same sex parenting arrangements
  • Paternity disputes


We are committed to the efficient and prompt resolution of family law matters, in the most cost effective manner possible.

Not every matter needs to go to Court and we do our best to resolve all matters outside of the Court.