Today, Caralee Fontenele will be speaking to us about whether or not you are entitled to any of your ex’s assets.
So, are you entitled to any of your ex-partner’s assets? Let’s jump into the podcast!
If you are married, financially contributed to the relationship, or have lived in a de facto relationship, then the answer is YES; you are entitled to a property settlement.
The Family Court uses the Four-Step Process, which has been spoken about in the podcast on episodes 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15.
- A brief explanation of the Four-Step Process is as follows:
- You identify and value all of the existing properties of both parties; it doesn’t matter what name it is in;
- You assess the contributions, both financial and non-financial, to the welfare of the family;
- You consider the future needs of each party, is there one party that is going to suffer more financially than the other?
- The court must determine if the overall result is just and equitable concerning the other steps.
It is essential to note that all contributions, financial or not, will be considered. It is important that you seek family law advice from a family law solicitor so that you can make the right decisions moving forward.
If you would like to meet with Caralee herself, or one of our family lawyers, click here or phone us on 5574 0971 to arrange your free consultation.